Welcome the first experiment with our book study feature!  We are just starting  Sticky Faith by Kara Powell & Chap Clark, so if you are just in time to join us from the beginning.  Be sure to share with your friends if you find this useful!

It’s often helpful to start with the statistical truth before we address the issues we face.  40%-50% of kids connected with a church/youth ministry will drop their faith in college.  Of those who drop their faith, only 20% planned to do so…the other 80% intended to stick with their faith.  Of those who dropped their faith in college, somewhere between 30% and 60% return to their faith in their late 20’s.  If you do the math with the averages of these numbers, only 65% of kids connected with the church through high school graduation will stick with or return to their faith throughout their life. (p. 16)

While the alcohol consumption statistics aren’t revolutionary, the conclusion that “virtually all hooking up is lubricated by copious amounts of alcohol” is significant because the shame and brokenness caused by sexual sin causes many to run from Christ and his Church (p. 17).  Perhaps we, the Church, need to walk with each other through restoration from our sexual sin rather than just make periodic statements and assertions from afar.

So what is a “sticky faith”? (p. 22)

  • It’s both internal and external.  It’s part of our inner thoughts/emotions and externalized through choices/actions that reflect our faith commitment.
  • It’s both personal and communal.  We grow in our relationship with the Father in the context of the community of believers, the Church.
  • It’s mature and maturing.  There are marks of spiritual maturity, but we are also in the process of growth.

As parents, how we live out our faith is more important for their faith development than anything else (p. 23-24).  “When it comes to kids’ faith, parents get what they are.”  So the faith we hope for our children is established by how we live out our faith and ministry programs function as they are designed, an auxiliary reinforcing the faith kids see in their parents.

It’s never too late or too early to start developing a “sticky faith” in your kids! (p. 26).

Questions to Discuss…

  • What problems are you trying to address by reading this book or participating in this study?
  • How would you define Sticky Faith?
  • What have you done that’s contributed to your kids’ faith?  What do you wish you had done differently?
  • Have you ever considered trusting your kids to God?  Spend some time right now praying for that!